In class, we:
- Gave back our Frankenstein books
- Checked out our new novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
- Many of us learned about Wilde's background
- Highlighted interesting aphorisms in the preface
- Read pages 1-8 in Dorian Gray
- Assigned presenters and discussers for fishbowls throughout the book.
Some important facts that we should all remember for this unit on Oscar Wilde include:
- Wrote using aphorisms: A statement used to tell an entire thought quickly and wittily.
- Studied aestheticism: The pursuit of beauty; idea that beauty is of the utmost importance; people should not be subjected to ugliness
- Believed in Hedonism: The idea of living by the pursuit of pleasure; to fulfill one's needs and desires through pleasure.
- Read chapters 1 and 2 for Friday
- Reference the guiding questions: who is the creator? who/ what is the creation?
- Think about setting up a time for a Last Lecture meeting with Mrs.Smith