Monday October 1
- Keep reading your Mann Booker prize book, page 245! continue working on your container
- On friday we will have an in class essay on Beowulf
- Next Monday we will have a quiz on background knowledge on Canterbury Tales
Finish reading Beowulf, Cantos 12-17
- In these cantos we see Beowulf become injured and Wiglaf kills Grendel out of loyalty to Beowulf.
- In the battle between Grendel’s mother and Beowulf we see that Beowulf has to go down to hell to fight her while when he fought Grendel it was in a heaven like place.
- His pride forces him to also want to fight Grendel’s mother. His pride also makes him bring Grendel’s head down into hell.
- There are a lot of fate elements, when he kills a monster or is saved Beowulf credits fate. The Christian elements don’t seem to flow as much, like the monks went back a wove it in. One place it is seen is when Grendel’s mom can’t touch Beowulf in water because it symbolizes his baptism in christianity.
- It shows his fight with the dragon is the end
- The downfall is very symbolic, it shows the downfall of the Anglo-Saxon ideas, Beowulf’s followers deserting him also supports this idea
- Christian idea- sprinkle water over his body
- Kennings: combination of nouns together, example line 595 “the mighty water witch”
On Friday in the class Essay the citation will look like
Lead in..., “Quote...” (Anonymous, Line numbers).
- Look on Ms. Smith’s website for the six different topics
- On wednesday we will finish the posters