FRIDAY, OCT. 5TH
What's gucci?! Today we spent the entirety of class working on Beowulf essays. It was somewhat enjoyable. It was originally due at the end of class, but no one finished. The new due date is MONDAY OCT. 8TH. The link for the essay requirements can be found on Smith's website and on the scribe post for Wednesday the 3rd.
I did my essay on how Beowulf embodies four traits of an epic hero; pride, supernatural power, invincibility, and taking a symbolic descent into hell. For your thesis, you must have:
- Author (anonymous)
- Point that you are going to prove?
- Why is it relevant/how does it pertain to story?
In each paragraph, you must do the following:
- Have 2 quotes. Since I have 4 body paragraphs, I will have a total of 8 quotes.
- Lead-in for each quote, along with citation.
- ex. Beowulf exclaimed, "Oh my, I am naked" (Anonymous line 376).
- Quote explainations: 1. What does it say? 2. Connect it to the point of the paragraph. 3. Connect it to the thesis.
Lastly, you will have a conclusion paragraph. Also, if you would like to receive extra credit, use the word "hiatus" properly somewhere in your essay. Bring a printed copy of your essay to class.